Please follow and like us:
Pin Share

ORIGINS.

Arcadia, Harare, Zimbabwe- According to some senior citizens of the Coloured Community the first school for Coloured Pupils was established in 1911, housed in a small building at No. 35 Pioneer Street. This was sponsored by the Church of England under the guidance of the Reverend Parker. The first twenty pupils were under the control of a Mr. Joseph Myers, a Coloured school-master from Bloemfontein, South Africa. Nothing has been heard about him ever since. In 1925 the Ministry of Education erected the first Government School for Coloureds in Salisbury Street; and later a school for Asian pupils in buildings separated by a street about three hundred yards to the east was established.

The Coloured school was known as the Salisbury Coloured School which was renamed Moffat in 1936.

In 1942 there was a growing exodus of Coloured residents to the new township, Arcadia, this necessitated the transfer in 1950 of the Moffat Primary School to its present site, in Woodstock Avenue.


MOFFAT UPPER TOP.

The school in Salisbury Street became the Moffat Upper Top, and catered for both Asian end Coloured pupils of post primary level. By that time the school across the road was moved to Ridgeview where a township for Asians, was being established.

The first Headmaster of the Upper Top School was Mr. S. Stoddart.

The first School Advisory Council meeting was held on 26th August 1954 at 5.30 p.m. Those present were: Mrs A. J. Rhoades, Mrs. E. C. Peter, Messrs A. Adam, P. T. Shah, N. J. Patel, J. E. Jones and G. T. Thornicroft who was elected Chairman.

The first business on the agenda dealt with the renaming of the School to avoid confusion with Moffat Primary. “It was unaminously agreed that the retiring Secretary for Education, Mr. L. R. Morgan be approached with the view to renaming the school after him.

The meeting noted the part played by Mr. Morgan in bringing about the establishment of the School. He would be doing both sections of the community a great “honour”.

At the same meeting Mr. Thornicroft offered a trophy for Interhouse Competition and Mr. A. Adam, who was building a house on the Kopje, offered earth and debris to fill up the holes in the playground, “it being understood that the school would pay for the cost of cartage”.

ACCOMMODATION.

Enrolment was growing rapidly at the Upper Top and additional accommodation was found in rooms vacated by the Asian School which had moved to Ridgeview. Those rooms were shared between Moffat and the pupils who formed the nucleus for to new Ardbennie Primary School which was scheduled to open much later.

QUALIFICATIONS OF TEACHERS.

In January 1955 Mr. Stoddart went on leave and Mr. G. Solomons was appointed Acting Headmaster until the end of March 1956. At the Council Meeting of March 1956, one of the members raised the question of the parents lack of confidence in the school, as it was felt that some of the teachers held lower qualifications than teachers in the Primary School. Mr. Solomons did not agree with the view expressed and claimed that apart from the few graduates and specialist teachers, no teacher was less qualified than any primary teacher. He would be glad if all his teachers were graduates, but he wondered if they could tell him where those teachers would come from.

At a later stage the matter was discussed with the Secretary for Education who indicated that as soon as the Federal Conditions of Service were introduced, teachers with standard qualifications would be recruited in Natal and the Cape Province.


MORGAN SECONDARY

As a result of the confusion between Moffat Primary and Moffat Upper Top and the insistent pressure from the School Council the retired Secretary for Education, Mr. l. r. Morgan, at a ceremony held at the school on 22nd March, 1956, re-named the School, Morgan Secondary.

TRANSFER MR. STODDART.

Im 1957 Morgan Secondary became Morgan High School and with the change in status there was a change in Headmasters. At a meeting held on Friday 6th December 1957, Mr. Stoddard announced his transfer as Headmaster to the Moffat Primary School. The Chairman thanked him for what he had achieved in the rapid growth of the school from the Moffat Upper Top to the Morgan High School. … “Mr. Stoddart had worked hard to raise the school to its present status. It was unfortunate, however, that the man who had done all the spade work had now to leave.” … He was congratulated on his promotion to Branch (I) of the service. The Chairman deplored the fact that as Headmaster, Mr. Stoddart was in Branch (Il) while the majority of his staff was in Branch (I). Mr. Stoddart thanked the Chairman and Council and said it was partly his own choice to leave.

MORGAN HIGH SCHOOL.

In January 1958, Mr. P. M. Brett was appointed Headmaster of Morgan High
school. At his first meeting with the School Council, the new Headmaster obtained permission to introduce new Games Houses. He suggested … “Shannon and Martin of the famous Dambuster Squadron and two names of Eminence, Rabindranath Tagore, the Indian poet and Nobel prizewinner, and Dr. Ralph Bunche, the American Coloured leader and United Nations official.”

Members of the School Council offered trophies for various games:

M. Ali Adam — Cricket.
Mr. G. Ismail — Soccer.
Mr. G. R. Patel — Rounders.

NEW SCHOOL.

In 1955 a deputation met the Secretary for Education to discuss the provision of a new school as the existing school population had grown to such proportions it had become necessary to have a bigger school. Two sites were suggested, namely, the … “Coloured Secondary School site in Arcadia, and the Asian Secondary School site in Belevedere.”

SPORT

Interhouse sport was held in April and was won by Perservence.

The first school school concert was held on the 10th December 1955. It was a great event attended by many local personalities, and was praised for the quality of its performance.

1956

A ceremony was held on Thursday 22 March 1956 at 10 a.m.where Mr. L. R. Morgan retired Secretary for Education renamed Moffat Upper Top to Morgan Secondary.

1st ATHLETIC MEETING – was held on Saturday 18th August 1956. Mrs Greenfield, wife of the Minister of Education presented trophies and certificates.

FIRST ART AND HANDICRAFT EXHIBITION

This event was held at the Goodwill Centre on the 8th December 1956. it was opened by the Governor-General, Lord Llewelyn.

1st STUDENTS PARTY

With the consent of the School Council who footed the bill the first students’ party was held the last week of term 1957.


In 1959, the following memorandum was forwarded to the Secretary for Education (resume).
1. Laboratory facilities were inadequate.
2. Classrooms were so dilapidated that there was no incentive to reach high standards — a bad psychological effect on pupils and teachers.
3. Two parts of the school, i.e. old “Moffat. and old ”Mountbatten” were 400 yards apart ani it took five minutes walking to get from one to the other — much teaching time was wasted.
4. A busy road separated two sections — a potential danger to pupils — in fact a child was involved in an accident while crossing the road.

5. School very unhealthy and noisy continual hooting of trains, and smoke belching from the Rhodesian and Nyasaland Tobacco Company nearby.
6. Old Mountbatten had stone floors and roof was leaking.
7. No Headmaster’s office, only small room to house both Head and Secretary who had to leave every time Head had confidential conversations or required to cane pupils – most unsatisfactory and very embarrassing to Secretary.
8. Lavatory facilities very inadequate.

Meeting in Head’s Office of School Council with Minister and Secretary for Education. at 11 a.m. on 9th December 1959. –
Present – Minister, Secretary for Education, G. T. Thornicroft (Chairman) A. Ali Adam, G. Ismail, G. R. Patel, G. Raftopoulos, N. J. Patel, Mrs C. A. Gordon, Mrs. Abrahams, Headmaster (ex officio).

The memorandum to the Secretary for Education had the desired effect meeting of the Council and Minister and Secretary for Education took place.

The following was discussed (resume).

1 – Chairman – Salisbury was the Capital of the Federation – but Asian and Coloured High School education was lagging behind. “We are to discuss the necessity of new school – when do we get it?”

2 – Minister – “There are 20,000 Coloured and Asian people in the Federation. Facilities in Northern Rhodesia and Nyasaland are practically nil. Their need is paramount.



3 – Secretary – There was a huge cut in the Education vote and development plans, due to recession. When Northern Rhodesia and Nyasaland got their schools in 1961, Morgan will have top priority — a comprehensive High School with Hostels.”

4 – School Site: Chairman said it would be decided between the communities and the Minister would be informed of the decision. If unresolved the matter would be forwarded to the Minister for final decision.

5 – Finance for New School. (and Private Auction Sale). – A suggestion came from the School Council as to how the new school could be valuable for commercial and industrial purposes. it was agreed and said it would be put up for public auction. the word “Auction” immediately prompted Mr. Ali Adam to bid £75 000, but Mr. Thornicroft raised it to £100 000. the Minister said that their bids would be considered, the money, however, would not be used for building the new school but would be paid into the Federal Treasury if their bids were accepted. (note: Buildings and land since taken over by School for Social Service).

6 – FINAL DECISION ON THE SCHOOL SITE. – 21st April 1960.

The Chairman asked for good sense to prevail, that the decision should not be based on racial lines. In spite of this a tug-of-war ensued between the Asian and Coloured representatives who were equal in number.

The matter was put to the vote, which produced a stalemate. The Chairman was then asked to use his casting vote, in the best interests of both communities. He did in favour of Arcadia.

THE SCHOOL IN ARCADIA

Building operations on stage 1. began on early in 1961 and were completed towards the end of 1962. At the end of the second term in 1962 half the school in Salisbury Street was moved to the new building in Arcadia. The rest of Salisbury Street was placed under the control of Mr. J. Jenkins, a teacher from the Cape, who took the supervision from Mr. C. A. Gordon who was transferred to Que Que as Headmaster.

The staff of the two sections became peripatetic, dividing their teaching time between the two schools. Pupils who did woodwork were transported to and fro much to the chagrin of Mr. Wilson, the newly appointed woodwork master from Blantyre.

In the last term 1962, the residue of Salisbury Street moved to the new High School.

By that time enrolment had reached 600 and the School Council clamoured for the erection of hostels, which were included in the overall planning.

GROWING PAINS AND PROGRESS – 1958 to 1972.

School Motto

In November 1958, the Headmaster gave notice that he wished to make a change to the wording of the school motto, – “Ideas, Ideals, Success.” He wished to have the motto in Latin. the Chairman of the Council objected, because he said, the motto was approved in “Upper To Days”It was a good motto and he had no reason to change it. could the Headmaster not translate the old motto. He thought it was possible but considered the word “success” somehow, since it was incongruous with “Ideas and Ideals” which were both such alliterative, he shuddered to think how it would come out in Latin. that taken and the Headmaster was given permission to change the Motto to “Ideas, Ideals, Morgan”.

LONG HISTORY OF THE EJAR

In April 1958 the new Headmaster Mr. Brett asked the Council’s opinion regarding the wearing of Ejars, (trousers) by Moslem girls. All other girls complied with uniform regulations. This was an infringement of the whole principle of uniformity in school uniform.


In July 1958 the Chairman reported that although he had a very sympathetic hearing, the leaders said that although they could see the sense of the principle involved they could not discard the Ejar. It was a very delicate matter which touched upon their religon and the Ejar was part of their national dress. When the question was again raised in November, Mr. Kassim, a leader of the Moslem community reported that they could not accede to the Councils request. The Chairman directed the Headmaster to write to the Islamic Society to arrange a for deputation. The Chairman emphasised that there were certain School rules which should be adhered to by everyone. Although it was pointed out that the wearing of Ejars was being discarded at Founders and that Nr. Naidoo of Louis Mountbatten was also doing away with that form of dress, Kr. Saleji felt that the parents would never agree.

On 13th March 1959, the Islamic Society replied that no useful purpose would be served by a deputation to discuss the matter. The Chairman expressed great dissatisfaction at the Societies uncompromising attitude. He instructed the Headmaster to write again to have the matter finally resolved; if the Founders parent had agreed to discard the Ejar, the argument pertaining to its religious significance in Salisbury was therefore invalid.

March 1960

In response to earlier correspondence that the Islamic leaders that the community was gcing to hold a referendum on the Ejar question. By June 1960 the Islamic Society replied that the results of the referendum were not yet finalised.

The Chairman ruled that under the circumstances Council should take a decision in the best interests the School, and in future ahould aim at a “policy of non—sectional and non—racial discussion at all its meetings.”

However, on the 11th August 1960 the Islamic Society sent its final decision on the Ejar question. This stated that thirty-eight replies in favour of the Ejar were received.

No indication was given of the number of parents who were consulted, but as far as the Ielamic Society was concerned the evidence was overwhelming and conclusive.

The Council dropped the matter since the decision was allowed to be made by the Islamic Society. The Chairman said that the Council reserve the right to raise the issue again at any future date.



This futile exercise which spread over two years’ debate and correspondence was a complete waist of everyone’s time. The Moslem girls are still wearing Ejars to this day.

DISCRIMINATION BY TEACHERS AGAINST PUPILS

The question was raised that certain teachers were playing up the differences between Asian and Coloured pupils as far as their attitude to work was concerned, and the relationship between the two groups. The Headmaster was satisfied that the allegation was unfounded. Mr. Stoddart, member of the Council, reported an instance of an apparently deliberate refusal by a teaoher to greet a pupil in town. Council took a serious view of this.

If specific names could be cited the Headmaster promised to take strong action. Mr. Stoddart could not produce any names.

From time to time unsubstantiated reports of alleged discrimination against pupils came up in meetings or were made to the Headmaster, by parents. At one stage the matter of discrimination against Asian pupils was raised in Parliament, but Mr. B. Pontes, member for Willowvale, and Goverment Nominee on the School Council, refuted the whole argument raised in Parliament. Infant he praised the Headmaster, his Deputy and Staff for running one of the most efficient schools in which the relationship between the pupils and staff was of the highest order.

DEPUTY HEADMASTER

In January 1960 Ir. R. J. Yon was appointed Deputy Headmaster. In August 1960 the Headmaster Mr. Brett, proceeded on long leave. The Council wished him a well deserved rest, and unamiously consented that the Acting Headmaster may sign cheques during the Headmaster’s absence.

SCHOOL TRUCK

In 1961 the State Lotteries agreed to contribute £875. towards the purchase of a school truck. The school raised £250.

It was a Bedford three—tonner which was used for carting soil, pupils and school furniture. In 1964 the Metal—Work Department built a canopy and the Woodwork department made moveable seats.

The truck—cum School bus had given valuable service over the years and to date is still in excellent condition.

A school Combi was acquired in 1964. It served for a number years but sold and a sturdier model to replace it was bought in 1971.

The school now has adequate transport facilities for the time being.

1963

FIRST SCHOOL PLAY

“ANTOGONE” was produced and directed by Mr. C. Goudin , a very touching performance- brought the audience to tears and very successful. Mr. Richardson from Head Office heartily congratulated Producer and members of the cast.

1965

School Orchestra – performed Toy Symphony with great aplomb at Harry Margolis Hall – awarded. FIRST GRADE CERTIFICATE.

A Vauxhall Viva car was raffles by the staff and pupils. £670 was raised and this completely covered the cost of the new borehole. Raffle took place at first ball held by teachers in December 1965.

1967

Speech Day and Open Day – The Minister of Education officiated. In his address he praised Morgan’s History Department which topped the national results in ‘M’ Level history in the previous year.

1972

First Orchestra/Bands Festival – Five Schools took part. Morgan Orchestra was praised for its outstanding performance.

Display of Furniture at Ambassador House – Since 1965 the Woodwork Department displayed articles of furniture at the Annual Home Industries Exhibition. Both quality and quantity increased over the years.

The articles on display at Ambassador House, November 1972 brought great credit to the school – a number of letters and phone calls congratulating all concerned were received. Many offers to purchases articles were made.

BREAK-UP OF THE FEDERATION

At the end of 1963 with the dismantling of the Federal Structure, there was an exodus of teachers from Morgan to Zambia and other terroritories, and influx from Zambia and Malawi.

Mr. Brett was appointed Head of Milton High in Bulawayo. Mr. W. Staude became Deputy Head in 1964 as well as Acting Headmaster during the first term. Mr. J. Jenkins was appointed Acting Deputy to Mr. Staude.



HEADMASTER

At the beginning of the second term 1964 Mr. W. Bennett who was Deputy Head at Mount Pleasant was appointed Headmaster at Morgan.

He told the Council that his first task was going to be the eradication of certain inadequacies in the academic policy of the School. All candicates who were being prepared for certain courses would be entered for those examinations so that they may gain full certificates. He did not believe in selective entries which although they showed remarkable results, did not reflect the true position obtaining in the School.

He also stressed the need for raising the standard of Sport which he believed was the school’s “Shop Window” to the public. He was determined to raise the level comparable with that of the best schools in the country.

The Council expressed its full support of the Headmaster’s new policy. This policy was further vindicated in the following years when Kishore Gokal was selected and played in the Nuffield XI against a visiting Australian side. Harmon Ismail was chosen to play in the Rhodesian XI.

ACADEMIC RESULTS

M.L.C.

1966 – 110 full certificates
1967 – 125 full certificates

C. O. P.

1966 – 74 full certificates
1967 – 94 full certificates

‘O’ Level

1966 – 5 with seven subjects
1967 – 6 with seven subjects
1966 – 30 Rhodesia School Certificates
1967 – 40 Rhodesia School Certificates

‘A’ Level

1966 – 14 out of 18 University entrants
1967 – 14 out of 19 University entrants

EXTRA – MURAL ACTIVITIES

1964 – Drama, Young Farmers, Photography, Cadets (1 Platoon), Art and Red Cross.

1965 – Boxing, Dressmaking, Science Society, Sixth Form & Prefects Club, Fencing, Radio, Young Farmers, Cadets (3 Platoons), Art, Drama, Chess & Red Cross.

1972 – Embroidery, Dressmaking, Science Society, Sixth Form Club, Photographic Club, Historical Club, Geographical Club, Modelling Club, Radio, Reading Club, Model Racing Club, Joinery Club, Guides, Orchestra, Choir, Art, Drama, Chess, Red Cross & School Magazine Society.

WINDS OF CHANGE

JUNE 1965

Mr. W. Staude was seconded to the Ministry in the post of Staffing Officer. Mr. Jenkins was appointed Acting Deputy for three terms.

1967

Mr. J. Jenkins was appointed Deputy Headmaster.

HOSTELS

Work began in July 1968. Stage 1 comprised two 104 place Hostels, Matrons quarters, Superintendents residence and Housemasters’s residence, canteen and kitchen complex and African quarters.

Lewis Construction Co. worked furiously to get everything ready by opening day January 1969. The boys hostel was half complete. boarders has to sager Endeavour House (Girls Hostel), for one term. Kitchen facilities were not completed but the Headmaster who had connections with the Army borrowed two huge Gas Cookers which helped to feed the multitude, for nearly two months. Staff and pupils who had not eaten Hostel food before enjoyed the meals. The general comment was “if such menus were possible under such difficult circumstances what wouldn’t the food be like when all facilities were provided”.

When all the facilities were provided, some months later the complimentary remarks about the excellent cuisine gradually lessened as “food became progressively less appetising”.

On the day the Superintendent moved into his new residence the Geyser broke and flooded the whole house. At the same time a storm broke. The rain came through the crevices in the kitchen door. The Superintendent with an umbrella over his head tried to mop up the flooding waters.

In spite of all the teething troubles everybody was most helpful and patient. Soon the Hostels were finally completed. Grounds were laid out, lawns were flourishing, flowers and roses bloomed. By the end of 1969, visitors from S. Africa remarked that the Hostels were well fitted and maintained, in fact, they did not look like Hostels — rather like 4 star Hotels.

In 1970 another 52 place boys Hostel and Housemasters quartere were completed.

ROOF BLOWN OFF – Endeavour House

On 7th November 1972, at 6.15 p.m. a freak wind lifted the roof of Endeavour House and dumped it into the drive-way in front of the Hostel. The inmates were terrified. Luckily no cars were parked in front of the Hostel and in their panic no boarders ran outside. Everyone th,ught that the rumbling noise signalled the beginning of an earthquake.

The teachers and matrons on duty acted with great calm and quickly brought the panic-stricken boarders under control.

A rain-storm that same night flooded the hostel and lifted the parquet flooring which floated from one corridor to another. The Superintendent immediately ordered the evaouation of boarders to place of safety. The girls were sent to Excelsior House and the boy. of Excelsior shared quarter with
Enterpriee House. P.W.D. Officials and an army of workmen were on the spot early the next morning. With characteristic efficiency the wreckage was removed in a matter of two hours. By Sunday 12th November at exactly 5.30 p.m. P.W.D. has replaced a brand new roof. Never had so large an undertaking been completed in so short a space of time.

STAFF CHANGE

In the second term 1971 the Headmaster Mr. Bennett proceeded on long leave. Mr. Jenkins was appointed acting Head in his absence. Mr. Ramlaul who had acted as Deputy Headmaster on a previous occasion was appointed Acting Deputy Headmaster for a second time.

ASIAN AND COLOURED HIGH SCHOOL, GWELO

During Mr. Bennett’s sojourn abroad, his deputy Mr. Jenkins was appointed Headmaster Designate of the new Asian and Coloured High School, Gwelo, which was scheduled to open in January 1973.

HISTORY OF CLUBS AND SOCIETIES

Red Cross Society

The Red Cross Society of Morgan has been in existence for many years and has brought fame to the School in the number of outstanding successes of its members.

Yasim Ahmed obtained the Grand Proficiency Medal and a Merits Badge for service. In 1963 Ruxana Hussein, Iladevi Ranchod and Yasim Ahmed were awarded th Duke of Edinburgh Bronze Medal by the Mayoress of Salisbury. They were the first recipients cf this award in Rhodesia.

In 1970 funds were raised by the Red Cross Division of Salisbury for the Freedom from Hunger Campaign. Morgans Red Cross Society raised the most funds for the campaign and was presented with a First Aid Kit by the Salisbury Division.


A number of girls who had taken Red Cross Examinations were undergoing training as nurses or ward aids in Salisbury Hospitals.

SCHOOL ORCHESTRA

The School Crchestra was started in the 2nd term 1965 under the direction of the late Mrs. E. Webb. The obstacles seemed unsurmountable. There was no money, no instruments and no practical experience. The only member who knew anything about music was a pupil, Ting Hoi from Mauritius. Later M. Webb was joined by Mrs. B. J. Williams and with great enthusiasm, progress was made gradually and within a few years the Orchestra was playing for every School Assembly.

In 1969 at a performance at the Eisteddford, the orchestra was awarded a First Grade Certificate and later at the Combined Schools Concert performed the Haydn “Toy Symphony” amid great applause.

At the end of the 2nd term 1972 the Orchestra featured prominently at the Annual Bands/Orohestra Festival at the Harry Margolis Hall.

CHESS CLUB

It was started in 1965 by Mr. J. Jenkins. In the first year the club lost nearly all its matches against the top schools.

When interest was aroused in Form 1 the basic material for future games was harnessed. By 1969 there was a meteoric rise in membership and a high standard of play was achieved.

During 1969 – 1970 the club had an unbeaten record having decisively defeated the chess teams of St. George’s College, Churchill, Mount Pleasant, Peter House and Cranborne.

The 1970 three teams were entered in the Herald Chess League. They have brought credit to the school through their outstanding performances in the League.

Prominent Chess Players were invited to the school to give useful tips on various opening gambits, middle and end—games.

In 1970 representatives from Salisbury Schools were invited to Morgan to play against Mr. B. Donnelly, Rhodesian and South African Champion, in simultaneous Chess. This event proved to be extremely beneficial to all who pitted their wits against the reigning champion.

In 1971 Root High School, U.S.A. contacted Morgan to establish a postal Chess championship between Rhodesia and the U.S.A. Their opening gambits were patterned on either the King’s or Queen’s gambit and their defences on the Sicilian and King’s Indian. This showed that their style of play resembled that of Bobby Fischer, World Champion.

.

Please follow and like us:
Pin Share
0

Comments

comments

About Author

Correspondent

@News Of The South, @Southern African news, @ South News today, @ Breaking News, @Africa News today, @Latest News, @African And Diaspora News, @Zimbabwean News, @Zimbabwe latest news, @World News, @Latest World News, @ News, @Latest news Of The South, @News Of The South Zimbabwe, @ Breaking News Of The South, @Southern News today live, @Harare news

Like Us On Facebook

SUBSCRIBE: YouTube Channel

Ad

Recent Comments