Please follow and like us:
Pin Share

Pamela T Munyoro.

Nigeria (News of The South) – Hundreds of students in Nigeria are feared to be missing after an attack on one of the schools, Government Science School in the northern state of Katsina.

The school was attacked by a group of gunmen on Friday. The state authorities have been searching for almost 333 missing students.

Attackers and security forces engaged in a fierce gun battle, forcing hundreds of students to flee and hide in the surrounding forest for safety.



It was unclear how many students had been kidnapped. Witnesses and officials have estimated that the school typically holds 800 to 1,200 students. More than 200 students who were abducted were rescued, Isah Gambo, a police spokesman, said Saturday in a statement.

“About 400 students remained unaccounted for, a parent and school employee said, the army and air force were working to get the missing students back.”

The military managed to track the attackers and exchanged gunfire with them in a forest in Kankara. The spokesman for President Muhammadu Buhari, noted that,

“No student casualties have been reported, although one officer was shot during the attackers’ raid on the school and taken to a hospital…,” Mr Shehu said.

Right now no one clearly knows who is behind the attack and the police and other officials are conducting an investigation as they are still searching for the remaining students.



Please follow and like us:
Pin Share
0

Comments

comments

About Author

Correspondent

@News Of The South, @Southern African news, @ South News today, @ Breaking News, @Africa News today, @Latest News, @African And Diaspora News, @Zimbabwean News, @Zimbabwe latest news, @World News, @Latest World News, @ News, @Latest news Of The South, @News Of The South Zimbabwe, @ Breaking News Of The South, @Southern News today live, @Harare news

Like Us On Facebook

SUBSCRIBE: YouTube Channel

Ad

Recent Comments