Malawi. (News of The South) – Three Malawians have died on the spot in a tragic electric incident while another one is critically ill at the country’s major Queen Elizabeth central hospital in the commercial city of Brantyre.

The three died after being electrocuted by an 11000 volts power line.

The four were hired by a private company, William General Maintances to erect bill boards at Chichiri Shoprite, a South Africn chain retailer with shops across Africa.

Chichiri Shoprite is located between the country’s High Court and Supreme court of appeal buildings in the south and Blantyre City Council head offices in the northern direction.

Eyewitnesses told News from the South, the three were electrocuted after steel ladders they were using accidentally tipped and were leaning on Elecricity Supply Corporation of Malawi (ESCOM) power lines.

“The victims were labourers who used to camp around the area looking for peace works.They had been hired to replace the banners by William Mauya of William general maintenance whose firm carries out maintenance work here at chichiri shopping mall,” said an eye witness who identified himself as Isaac Mawuwa.

“A few minutes later, the four were knocked down by the electric shock after the ladder they were climbing on swerved due to strong winds”.

Another eye witness Joseph Stedison who was selling newspapers at the time of the accident said the only survivor, Namweto, is said to have cried out for help but people could not help for fear of being electrocuted.

He cried for help but we were all afraid to rescue them as they were electrocuted. We knew that we would put our lives at risk if we got too close to them, said Joseph Steedition a witness and newspaper vendor around the area.

After about half an hour, the fire brigade from brantyre city council came to put out the fire but they were too late for the three. In an interview yesterday, many expressed shock on hearing about the accident. I have been doing this for over 16 years but I have never experienced a tragedy like this, he said.

Police confirmed the tragedy but could not give extra details because they were still following up the incident. Spokesperson for the ESCOM Innocent Chitosi expressed shock over the incident.

Chitosi has since appealed to the general public to always involve the corporation when they want to work near Escom infrastructure so they can be provided with technical advice and support.

“For instance, the line that passes through that place carries 11, 000 volts, which is a lot of power. So we should be involved so that we help each other and avoid such occurrences.” He told News from the South.




About Author

Like Us On Facebook

SUBSCRIBE: YouTube Channel

Forget Motivational Stories: Write Your Own

By Pearson Mbendera I have read a lot of ..

Winky D Shines At First Ever Zim Dancehall Awards

By Daniel Muzana Zimbabwe`s Winky was the ..

Vast Outcry For The Prodigal Son

Milton Mashasha Sports Reporter in Byo,Zim ..

A Story Of Love As Kenya Mourns The Westgate Mall Massacre

By Anoziva Marindire   The Nairobi Westgate ..

Inconsistency Costs The Chevrons Against Afghanistan

By Perkins-Tino Bare. Harare, Zimbabwe. (News ..

Noah ManyikaTakes Chamisa’s Side

Build Zimbabwe Alliance leader Dr Noah Manyika ..

Church, Civic Society Call For Judiciary Independence

HARARE-     With the case around election ..

Mliswa Vows to Continue with Development after Huge Win

Harare, Zimbabwe (News of the South)- Norton ..

Murderer Kombian Returns To The Docks

Ghana`s notorious robber, Johnson Kombian, ..

Leaked Alangizi Video: Defending Alangizi, My Testimony

By Musamba Mumba Too much crap has been said ..

Eritrea Human Rights Abuses Highlighted At UN Review

Geneva – Eritrea was on Monday accused ..

Zimbabwe Communist Party Blasts Opposition Parties

By Munesu Chigada Harare, Zimbabwe (News ..

Mandatory Circumcision of Inmates In Prisons

By By Mutinta Moono Hanyama (Zambian Eye) ..

Industry Lacking Policy Synchronisation

By Wisdom Mumera (News Of The South) – ..